Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, October 4, 2007

One more cow in Montana

It's a beautiful cool morning here on the Knolltop with a sunrise beyond compare.

Yesterday I was visiting with my mom, who happened to be at World Dairy Expo, I think everyone has gone there but me. Anyway, she and my dad were there to deliver an Ayrshire cow. My nephew in Montana, the one with the very lucritive "dairy ranch" had such a demand for milk out there that he needed another cow. Because he already had an Ayrshire and he's convinced they have better milk, another Ayrshire will now call the hills of Joliet, Montana home.

She will awaken to a sunrise in the east that will splash light on the Rocky Mountain Range that is just to the west of her pasture. She will bask in the dry climate and never have a worry of running out of companionship with her new herdmate, BetseyLou and the brood of Missouri Foxtrotters that also call this ranch home. Imagine, way out there, two dairy cows producing a product so high in value the city dwellers are willing to pay $7 a gallon for it while all I hear around here is how expensive $3.59 is for a gallon of milk. I think I'm milking cows in the wrong part of the country.

Well, to continue that swapping story, my parents met my nephew and my brother-in-law and his brother in Madison. They all had a good time enjoying the big show and then the Montanans headed back west and my parents headed back east around the lake.

I'd better get going, I've got a couple of columns to write today...plus all that wonderful other routine work that keeps me from becoming a couch potato.

3 comments:

pryorvu said...

Miss Barbara arrived safely on the hill overlooking Elbow Country. Fresh snow on the Beartooths and the Pryors. Got home about 5 am today. Couldn't sleep so I am at work. Nice story. Had a good visit with Gramp's and Gram's. Wonderful time at the Expo. Even got to visit a Cabela's store in Owatanno, MN. Tell Bobby and the gang hello. Hope to see you all again sometime.

Melissa Hart said...

Hey pryorvu...Glad Miss Barbara made it home safe and sound. Sounds heavenly there in MT. Glad you had such a great trip...it's nice to get away and nice to get home! Put this site on your favorites and stop in for a visit!
The Eastern Mel.

Anonymous said...

BETSY LOU she is very touchy about how to spell her name.