Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Nothing is impossible...

Good Morning from the Knolltop! It's 40 out this morning and supposed to be windy and about 60 this afternoon. It will be a good day to get some work done outside to get ready for winter. I think these warm days are escaping us and pretty soon we will see the snow fly.

Yesterday we got word that Holly is clear to go to Louisville. Here in Michigan we have to test everything for TB before we leave the state. I don't even think a fly is allowed to leave without health papers! Well, it's not that extreme...it really only applies to cattle. We had to have a clear TB test and all the health papers in order for Holly to go and we finally got all that accomplished yesterday after a bit of a scare.
The first test we had done on her, she reacted to it. So that meant she had to have blood drawn by a USDA Vet. Thinking that would take weeks we gave up hope that she would be going south. Our deadline for the vet coming to draw blood was last Wednesday. On Tuesday night when Luke was getting the show halter to go work with Holly, we broke the news to him and told him she wasn't going unless the vet came the next day and that was next to impossible. He hung his head then hung up the show halter...seemingly until next spring.

I watched him as his faced turned red and his eyes started to get watery. I couldn't stand seeing him to sad, but reality is hard to take sometimes and life is not fair.

That night as we were munching on popcorn reading the paper, the phone rang. I answered it and it was a USDA vet. She wanted to schedule a time to test Holly! Anxiously I said, how about tomorrow? She said sure! I hung up the phone and ran into tell Luke and he calmly smiled a big smile.

The next day she came and tested the cow and said she was awared that the cow was entered in the North American and she would put a rush on the test. Waiting on pins and needles to see if the cow was actually negative Dr. Cauley called yesterday with the good news.


The trip was back in motion and now she will head out tomorrow morning on Gregg Hardy's trailer. There is a white dry erase board in our barn and at the top of it there is a statement to remind everyone of us when we walk into the barn. It says, "Nothing is impossible with God" and truer words were never spoken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa! I'm so glad to hear Holly's heading down to Louisville. Who's showing her? Are you going to be down there? I'm going to be there Friday to Sunday or Monday! I'm going down for the National Jersey Queen Contest so I might have some time to walk through the barns.

Anonymous said...

What day will Holly be on stage for all to see? S B H