Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What a day

It's cool here on the Knolltop this morning. I think the thermometer read 40 this morning when we went to the barn.

Boy, yesterday was fun and exhausting. I picked up my cohort from Knolltop Morgans up the road and we headed south....way south....deep in the south....almost to Kentucky. I know, that's not the deep south, but from the way the waitresses talked in Bob Evans, we might as well have been in Mississippi.

I took my atlas to help us find the quickest route to Mohrfields in Pleasant Plain, Ohio. The map of Ohio was on two pages, the first page was northern Ohio, the second was southern Ohio. Because Pleasant Plain is just northeast of Cincinnati, it was on the second page of Ohio. So naturally when we got through the first page of Ohio I expected my navigator, Lori, to turn the page and we'd be in Cinci....wrong. We had another 10 inches to go!

We finally got there and with my phone ringing I pulled in and parked and answered the call from the boss. His only question was...has she sold yet? I had no idea since I hadn't even darkened the doors of the sale barn. So I went in and the sale was in full swing with ringmen taking in bids on a fancy cow parading through a mum decorated ring. I walked over to the clerks table and peered over the clerk. With that, I called the boss told him she had sold for.....$5300...yes, that September calf you thought was so nice with a deep pedigree....everyone else thought she was that nice too. I breathed a sigh of relief knowing none of the money from my Knolltop would be heading south today!

With that, we sat back and waited for a heifer bargain for Lori's daughter....it never came. There were no bargains to be had with farmers from Iowa and Bubba from Georgia bidding up everything that walked in on four legs.

When all of our "business" was done, we went over to visit with Delbert Yoder for a few minutes, walked through their beautiful tie-stall barn, snapped a few pictures of the crowd to have here on my blog and bought a chocolate milk from the Goshen Athletic Boosters.

We headed home on this beautiful fall day and enjoyed unending conversation about everything from cows to kids to college days. It was a great day full of laughter, crazy drivers, homemade horns and rich, vast, flat Ohio farm country.

No comments: