Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Scrapmania!

It's overcast and 45 here on the Knolltop. Turtlenecks and sweatshirts are the appropriate clothing for milking on these cool mornings. I haven't had to break out the red union suit yet....but I hear that weather may be coming soon.

It's been scrapmania around here lately. The other night I was reading and heard some banging around outside. At 9:30 at night I looked out and saw JW out there loading up his truck with scrap metal by the light of his headlights. The next morning he was headed to town with a load of scrap before school. Just in time for breakfast he walked in the door with cash in his hand and a smile on his face.

The combination of elevated scrap prices and a teenage boy who needs gas money for his new truck that he also wants to get repainted makes for a really clean farm.

The list of things to do today includes a trip to the glass place to replace a storm window...just in time for cooler weather. I heard a Jersey farm up near Perry was devasted by the tornado that went through mid-Michigan last week, so I need to check on that today too. Does anyone know anything about that? If you do, let me know. I got an email yesterday describing the damage, but I haven't heard that first hand, so I don't want to perpetuate possible rumors. So if you've heard anything let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the farm is Larry Place.

Also, a mile west of Charlie Sayles, a fairly new double wide was totalled, and is now cleaned up. The foundation is ready for another double wide, or modular house.
Henry Sayles owns land near there, and we noticed someone in a pickup in his hay field, gathering metal barn roofing and other debris scattered in a Northeasterly line from the devasted house. Also, about two miles southerly from this house, is the location on Haslett road where the two older people were drowned in a pond at late night. It was their first night in their new home...the tornado hit their home, lifted it and dropped it in the pond, with the people in it. RP

Anonymous said...

When do we get to see the truck? S B H