Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Open Range

It seems that's what the heifers on our farm think they have, open range priviledges. Yesterday morning while bedding the stalls, a neighbor stopped by, not for a visit but to let us know we had some heifers out. We chased them through the freshly planted corn field and got them back in, fixed the hole and went on about our business. After an evening of chores and a double header that had a 45 minute rain delay, we dropped into bed later than normal only to hear the phone ring. It was another neighbor calling to let us know their were some heifers out! We rolled back out of bed, headed out in the pitch black darkness, of course it was cloudy, no moonlight to illuminate the cornfield and I drove the truck while Big Daddy got his exercise. When we got them back to the barn, I opened the door only to allow the rest of the heifers and the horse out. As I began to mutter bad things under my breath about how stupid those heifers were acting and something about wishing I had a shotgun, one heifer shot back through the barn door and all the rest followed her. A big sigh of relief came as I slid the barn door closed and headed back up to the house. My bed never felt better.

No comments: