Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, August 13, 2007

Brrr...

It's cold this morning on the Knolltop! A whole 61 out this morning...compared to the 90 and humid we've been having...I had to wear a sweatshirt to the barn to milk this morning. It's a nice change, especially since I will be freezing sweetcorn today. Yesterday I went to Mr. K.'s for some corn and found a bumper crop that needs to be picked and put into my freezer. So in six minutes...I've put myself on a timer this morning....I'm headed out with Jake to pick some corn.

The only reason I'm on a schedule is because we have to attend a funeral of a neighboring dairy farmer, Carlos Long. He's been very ill for the last 2 years after his wife Norma died. He and his son Doug and grandson Scott own and operate Long-Haven Farms, home of some very notable Holsteins. I got to know Carlos and the family way back in the 80s when my mom and I exhibited cattle at the state fair.

While Big Daddy and I are gone, my daughter and her friend are scheduled to shuck the corn so when I get home we can start freezing it. We'll see how that plan works....yes, me of little faith!

Hey Shady Knoll...how's that perked coffee comin' along?

No comments: