Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The rain continues

I just got off the phone with a neighbor and he said we had three inches of rain since Sunday. Of course we have no rain gauge. Not because we haven't had one in the past, we have....several. You see my dad used to have an insurance business and he used to have lots of things he gave away as advertising...Pens (that were really fine pointed and I didn't care for), plastic mugs, calendars (those were a big hit, they covered an entire wall and the numbers were huge so you could be at your neighbors and still see what day it was...just a joke dad!), calculators and of course rain gauges for the farmer in all of us. I think he still has 1756 of them left in his machine shed, don't even get me started on his collection of army surplus items...boy dad is gettin' it this morning! He's a good sport....I'm sure he'll leave us a comment or two after this!

Anyway, he has given us several rain gauges and for some reason the kids(boys) find them fascinating and feel the need to look touch and break every one of them. We just can't find a post high enough to put it on and still be able to read it! So we have to rely on the neighborhood farmers for our readings.

Last evening after chores, Jake and his friend Thomas from Knolltop Morgans, up the road, just couldn't resist this big mud puddle. While I tried to get my camera quick enough to shoot some action shots, I wasn't able to do so. Let's just say they were soaked from head to toe and had to strip down before they entered any house!

After the fun was all done and Thomas got in my van to go home, he said in a meek voice, "I hope my mom understands." I assured him I would stand in the gap for him and that she would understand the raising of boys and how that brings so many adventures that us girls really don't understand, but we learn to tolerate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mud, mud, mud - Isn't it some of the cleanest fun one can have. Nothing like becoming one with nature! And, it sure beats being covered in that other brown stuff that is so commonly found on farms ;0)
People pay money for "mud treatments!" Isn't it great that your kids can experience the same benefits without having to go to a spa!
And - mud means one other thing - IT IS RAINING! Something most of the country can use right now!
Beth in PA

Melissa Hart said...

Hey Beth,
Yes, you are right, it's great clean fun and I think they look just a tad more glamorous since they've had their treatment! We are supposed to get more rain...glad to have it. I finally have to mow again.
Thanks for stopping in!
Melissa