Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No coffee yet

I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet this morning...so sorry if this post sounds lathargic.

We are still getting rain this morning. It stopped yesterday but now we are getting more! I ventured into my garden yesterday only to find the coons and lack of rain has kept me from getting much of my sweetcorn. Looks like I'll have to find some to freeze somewhere else. But I have found someone who will butcher my chickens when they are ready. While standing in line at the feed store I approached the Amish lady in front of me, knowing full well they would have someone in their clan who butchered chickens for profit. And sure enough I struck gold...her sister does it! She told me just where she lived so in the end of September, I will be heading south of Hillsdale with my big, fat, chickens!

Maylene is still carrying on out in the barn. Her calf is gone, but like I suspected she has adopted Marnie, the calf next to hers, as her own....Oh, I wished she'd get over it!

Big Daddy needs the computer...better get to my coffee anyway...more later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the problem you are having with Maylene--I remember when Linda(the big Ayrshire you pictured awhile back on your blog) had her first calf. She nearly tore the barn door off trying to get to her little heifer (named mandie). She carried on for about a week but then it got better but for a few days we kept her in the barn just to preserve the barn!! She got a little better with later pregnancies but was always pretty into trying to be with her babies! Mom