Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, August 6, 2007

The rain has left us humid

We had a great rain yesterday and it was so badly needed that I just can't bring myself to complain outloud about the humidity it has left behind. But I tell you what...when it's this humid, everything in the barn is wet and sticky...including the cows. My overalls seem to collect the moisture and add weight my load. But I'm not complaining.....:)

I will complain about Maylene. She is one of our former 4-H projects who just delivered her second calf yesterday morning. This time she had a bull and she has a very strong affection for her little boy. Her stall is on the end, by where the calves are kept and she can keep an eye on Mitch (Sarah and her girlfriend named him) the whole time she's in the barn. She hasn't stopped bellering yet! We can hardly talk while we milk because of her big mouth! Mitch will be headed to the stock yards today, so hopefully that will put an end to her noise...unless she adopts one of the heifers nearby....:(

We had a fatality last night among our meat chickens. One dollar down the drain! JW decided he needed to take meat chickens to the fair this year...so last week ten little chicks arrived and are in our back room. He only needs 2 for the fair, but I wanted some for my freezer so I told him I would provide the feed, he had to provide all the care. I guess chicken husbandry isn't one of his strong points because under his care, one died. And you know it was one of his!

Well, I'd better get to work while it's semi-cool.

No comments: