Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Three inches since Sunday

And the rain just keeps coming. It was a slow day on the farming scene this morning since the rain has hit and we can't even get to our yards to mow them! So in the front door came Mr. K. the neighboring farmer and employer of the boys when they aren't working here...with two boxes of donuts from the local bakery!

Oh my what a welcome sight. The yogurt and bran flakes went back to the kitchen and I bellied up to the table to consume some powerful fat and sugar...and oh how good it tasted with my hot coffee!

As far as I'm concerned that's how every day should start. You just can't get much better than hot coffee and warm sweetrolls. Yes, I have my grandmother's sweet tooth...she was known to go through a day on coffee with two or three, sometimes four tablespoons of sugar, a few homemade cookies and a stale donut or two. She lived into her mid ninties, so I guess I'm well on my way to a ripe old age myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GRANDMA'S SWEET TOOTH AND PERKED COFFEE-YOU JARRED MY MEMORY BANKS-MY GRANDMA'S COFFEE PERKED IN A WHITE ENAMEL POT ON THE BACK OF A WOOD RANGE-POURED INTO A REAL CUP-4 TEASPOONS SUGAR STIRRED IN SLOWLY-THEN POURED IN THE SAUCER AND BLOWED-RETURNED TO THE CUP AND SIPPED SLOWLY-NO MUGS,STYROFOAM OR PLASTIC TRAVEL CUPS AT GRANDMA'S KITCHEN TABLE-WE SAVORED EVERY DROP YOU'VE INSPIRED ME TO DIG THE OLD PERCULATOR OUT OF THE ATTIC! OH YES, OVER 3 INCHES OF HEAVEN SENT RAIN HAS RENEWED OUR SPIRITS AND CROPS

Melissa Hart said...

Oh my, I'm glad I inspired someone! My mom used to have a percolator that you plugged in that was before the auto drip kind we have now. I used to love the sound of that coffee pot. Then there was the one we used when we went camping..it was black from all the soot. I never drank coffee from it when I was younger, but it always smelled like it was absolutely the best thing on earth.

And my Grandma always used a cup and saucer but she always wanted a paper towel to fold up and put under the cup to soak up the coffee that she inevitably spilled. Isn't it amazing the small things we remember!

Be careful, don't burn your tongue in the morning when you drink that delicious perked coffee! Keep on jarring that memory!