Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Monday, August 27, 2007

Dairy Farm Women

Okay...I've got a differing opinion with someone about dairy farm women. Now I want to take an informal poll of my own here...so it's time to weigh in on this one.

My adversary says that there is bickering among farm women on whether dairy producers should use BST or not. He says that small producers blame large producers for the lower milk prices, when they are low, because large producers who use BST flood the market with milk. He thinks that when farm women get together this is a bone of contention among them.

I said that when dairy farm women get together they are so happy to be off the farm, they don't want to argue with anyone. Instead they talk about where they got the best deal on rubber boots, what kinds of sickness they've had among their calves, how to get out of doing a particular chore that they hate doing and how much laundry will be waiting for them when they get home. Oh, and don't forget how good the meal is...simply because they did not have to lift a finger to cook it.

He said I'm way off base on this....am I? So...do we bicker or not? That's what I want to hear from you. As an industry is there contention among the ranks of dairy women or not....I want to hear from you!

By the way... my adversary is Trent Loos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liss--Your adversary would have a lot more credability if he were a dairy farm wife and was ever able to sit or ,more likely stand and witness a group of dairy women talking!! You are absolutely right--there are alot more interesting and timely topics to talk about than bst and I think you named them all. As far as support of one another--I have never seen or felt a lack of support among these women whether they are still in the business or not. Once a dairyman, always a dairyman. This statement is never clearer than when you sit with your cows at a show and listen to these retired dairymen and women talk about when they were milking--they don,t miss the long hours but they sure miss the cows and the fellowship with other dairymen. Enough said--I vote with you, surprise, surprise!!mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, my husband and I are both dairy farmers. Today, another husband and wife who dairy farm stopped by. The only topic--LABOR! Also, the reason for the visit. And there are no easy answers. By the way, I'm not sure if they used bst. We do not, but not all large farms use bst, nor do all small farms abstain.

Anonymous said...

I'M WITH YOU!!!

Melissa Hart said...

Hey y'all...Thanks for weighing...I didn't think I was that far off base, like I was told!

Anonymous said...

We have never used BST and think
it hurt the dairy industry but Monsanto decided we were going to
get it weather we wanted it or not,
but it is way down on my list of
things to talk about. If we talk
farm, it is more likely to be about
something like herd health, do you have a lot of pneumonia in your calves, with the rain are you getting more mastitis.
But the conversation is more likely to be, have you been to the new store yet, how are the kids?
Francis and Pat