Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Thursday, August 30, 2007

New baby

Good Morning from the cool knolltop!

We had a new arrival this morning...a bull calf was born and it must have been late last night, he was up and had already eaten! I love it when calves start off that way. There's another one in the works as I write...we've got to run errands this morning...if she hasn't calved by the time we leave...it will be difficult to get Big Daddy away from the farm. He's been waiting for her to calve for a week now and he said yesterday at lunch.."I wish she'd hurry up and calve, she's about to drive me crazy!" He is a worrier and expends a lot of energy worrying about his babies....the cows and the kids.

I have one final comment about my adversary Trent. I know the man has never given birth to any children and as far as I know he's never been married to a dairy farmer thus, he's unqualified as an authority on what dairy women think or talk about. But he has many opinions and has a perfect right to a diatribe.

It is also evident that he has never read any of my columns in the Farmers' Advance when I wrote about homosexual cowboy movies, mothers staying at home and the agricultural viability of llama farming. So when he implies I don't have the courage to take on this battle in a ag publication he knows not of where he speaks. You would've thought he had learned his lesson from my introduction of him at the Great Lakes Regional Dairy Conference.

Although he has spoken in 34 states this year and has his finger on the heartbeat of agriculture he still can't speak for us. But with a newsletter called Looslips...what can we expect? (By the way, it's a great newsletter and you can signed up by going to www.facesofag.com)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SORRY I'M A LITTLE LATE ON THE BST POLL. ON THE RARE OCCASION I GET TO SPEND SOME TIME WITH ANOTHER DAIRY FARM WIFE WE HAVE MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DISCUSS AND COMPARE NOTES ABOUT THAN BST.THE FEW FARMERS I KNOW THAT USED IT HAVE STOPPED BECAUSE THE NEGATIVE EFFECTS OUTWEIGHED THE BENEFITS. ANYWAY AROUND HERE BST STANDS FOR "BOVINE STANDARD TIME" AS EVERYTHING WE DO IS SCHEDULED AROUND THE "GIRLS" AND THEIR NEEDS!! AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY THE ONLY CHICKEN WHO ESCAPES THE PEN HEADS DIRECTLY FOR MY GARDEN AND ONLY EATS THE RIPE TOMATOES...

Melissa Hart said...

That happens here too. I think I'm going to have to plant some extra tomatoes just for the chickens. And they don't eat the whole thing, just about one side of it so you can see how beautiful the rest of the tomato was! I love the Bovine standard time...that's the way it is around every dairy farm, I think. Unless you milk thousands of cows and have lots of hired labor.

Anonymous said...

As far as Trent is concerned inviting you to put your opinion in writing, he's baiting you, don't fall for it.

Dad