Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Happy Birthday JW!




Yes, today is a big day at the Knolltop. JW our oldest is 16 today. And yes, we will be heading to the Secretary of State's office to get his license today and he will be able to legally leave our farm in a vehicle without any of us....yes...I'm sad!

Although I'm only 28, somehow with this milestone I feel 42. Just 16 short years ago I was in labor with this little one and he took forever to be delivered...might I add I delivered him without any drugs! Silly me...had I known I could've had a pain free labor I would've begged for drugs with the first twinge of pain while I was pulling weeds in my garden in Southwest, Indiana. I kept thinking it had to get really bad to ask for drugs otherwise they would consider me the wimp of the year. So by the time I wimpered for some medication, the nurse looked at me and said..."It's way too late for that, just keep pushing!"

As our oldest child, we have every breath JW ever took photographed and in a scrap book and his first two years of his life are documented...every little detail. And as the familiar story goes, our fourth child was so forsaken he was losing weight before I realized I had another mouth to feed. You see he liked sucking on his fingers and I just never thought about feeding him...I had three other little kids to take care of for heaven's sake! Waking up a sleeping baby to feed him was absolutely against everything I stood for. Of course before you call the authorities on me, take another look at our baby...he's well fed.

So, back to Dub....he was definitely the biggest challenge to raise...he's ADD, although I've never had him officially diagnosed, I know he is...and we live with it! He never wanted to go to bed at night...he was always pushing the envelope and I tell you, he got more spankings than any of the rest of our children. But today, he's a very hard working young man with a big smile and a very generous heart. He can give a pep talk at the drop of a hat and make you feel like a million bucks. He's done that for me more times than I can count and then I turn around and ask "Who's the parent here?"

So before he gets an ego, because he does read this to see what I'm saying about everyone...I will quit and say...I love you Jaybird! Won't he love that!

No comments: