Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Results are in!

First off, thank you for all your input...it's very valuable and interesting to hear all of the opinions. I may have to turn this into a column so those not in the blogsphere can participate too! The following is my letter to Trent. Because he loves a challenge more than life itself, I'm sure he'll respond when he gets done chasing Rick Wheat around the round pen at the Farm Progress Show in DeKalb, Illinois. (He's doing a video series on horse training with Rick Wheat, not really chasing another man around a pen!)


Good Morning Trent:
Below you will find many of the comments that I received as a result of asking for the opinions of farm women across the country. It looks as if my poll results are widely in my favor.
Although it wasn't done scientifically, I still feel the input is relevant. I think you'll find I was correct in my assumption that dairy farm women are much more concerned about each other, the lives they influence and their households than the use of rBST and it's impact on the farm economy.
Does that mean we don't give two hoots about this technology? Of course not, farm women across the nation care very deeply about the economic viability of their farming operations. A great majority of them are the farm bookkeepers and know down to the very penny how much is in the checkbook. At the same time they are concerned with the well being of their teenager, the reading skills of their 7 year old and how many cans of tomatoes, pickles and peaches are in the basement for the winter. They are keenly aware of how each one of their calves are growing, what deacon calves are bringing at the stockyards, what 4-H projects need work and which sick neighbor needs a meal.
I know full well that you are aware of how special farm women are...you, a self-proclaimed rancher's husband, are married to one such great gal. While I disagree with your assumption that farm women have internal conflict over the use of rBST, I agree with what you do for agriculture. You are a one of the best advocates we have and I support your endeavors as you cover the country unearthing the stories that make up your loostales!
Thanks Trent

Your favorite thorn in your side,
Melissa Hart


--Hey Liss--Your adversary would have a lot more credibility if he were a dairy farm wife and was ever able to sit or ,more likely stand and witness a group of dairy women talking!! You are absolutely right--there are alot more interesting and timely topics to talk about than bst and I think you named them all. As far as support of one another--I have never seen or felt a lack of support among these women whether they are still in the business or not. Once a dairyman, always a dairyman. This statement is never clearer than when you sit with your cows at a show and listen to these retired dairymen and women talk about when they were milking--they don,t miss the long hours but they sure miss the cows and the fellowship with other dairymen. Enough said--I vote with you, surprise, surprise!! Mom

-- I must agree with "Mom", since Trent isn't a woman, he can't be on the same playing field as you. I read an interesting article in Reader's Digest about how male and female brains process jokes differently. I am sure there are many other things we process differently as well which all lends itself to varying opinions on different subjects. Beth Seyfert, Marketing Director, Farmer Ag Boy, PA.

--We have never used BST and think it hurt the dairy industry but Monsanto decided we were going to get it weather we wanted it or not, but it is way down on my list of things to talk about. If we talk farm, it is more likely to be about something like herd health, do you have a lot of pneumonia in your calves, with the rain are you getting more mastitis. But the conversation is more likely to be, have you been to the new store yet, how are the kids? Francis and Pat, Jersey breeders, Fowlerville, MI

--I'd like to weigh in on your question about BST being a bone of contention among farm women...I think most of us like to talk / commiserate / seek support about everyday things - meal planning and prep, laundry, motherhood and wifehood. However there are many women that seem to always be seeking a place to set their soapbox. Schooling, birthing, and health treatments seem to be among the most popular topics (or perhaps it is just my stage of life). When people’s careers are centered on a niche market or include a controversial aspect (i.e. organic) I have learned to expect the soapbox to appear at every opportunity. Now I must say that I have learned quite a bit from the soapbox lectures. I tend to be a middle of the road gal. These gals are passionate about their topics and have helped me solidify what and why I do what I do. However I have learned to avoid those hot button topics (or conversation altogether) with many of these women.Women tend to be more passionate about things and less likely to let a difference of opinion go. Men tend to be more businesslike. It makes sense to me that your "adversary" has observed women having heated discussions over BST. I would chalk it up, not to the topic of BST, but to our (women’s) ability to blow things out of proportion and not realize when we need to shut our mouths. (I suspect that if anyone tried to attack the dairy industry, the same women that were at odds regarding BST would join together, and that same passion would be the mortar of an impenetrable fortress.) Now really, is it appropriate to debate BST with your hairdresser? grocer? a remote wheat farmer? The most appropriate person for a dairy gal to wrestle the BST issue with (other than her husband) would be another dairy gal. I pray that maturity and grace cover these (and many other) offensives in my life. I hope that women who openly carry their bones of contention, have friends to kick back, have a cup of coffee or glass of wine with (depending upon the time of day, of course) and laugh about laundry, my 'tween daughters latest hairdo and the chicken poop on the back step (because frankly it's NOT funny when it is on the front step and company has just pulled into the driveway).I look forward to checking your blog again soon - and the compilation of results you send to Trent. Moscow Farm, Idaho.

--Hi, my husband and I are both dairy farmers. Today, another husband and wife who dairy farm stopped by. The only topic--LABOR! Also, the reason for the visit. And there are no easy answers. By the way, I'm not sure if they used bst. We do not, but not all large farms use bst, nor do all small farms abstain. From, I don't know?

--I'M WITH YOU!!! --from I don't know?

--Gosh, in my area there are very few dairy women so we're just so glad to see another associate to talk about EVERYTHING!
The good milk prices are top subject right now along with our trials of the heat & over abundant rains both of which have caused a drop in production & some mastitis and LOTS of soupy mud and ponds in the lots.
Not to say BST has not come up in a few conservations. We don't use it & hope it's unfavorability will continue. With the consumer being more health conscious I think it comes back to "bite you". Organic or pasture raised is more popular now; right or wrong, & let's face it-lower production has helped our prices along with outside influences. --Linda/IL
--When our dairy wives peer group gets together, we are all so happy to be together and talk of calves, hubbys, what works on each others farms, and women's stuff, that we don't want to talk about negative stuff. And eating out is the highlight!
That isn't to say that the large dairy near us that was started by Canadians with sold quota dollars and now employees all but one Mexican, isn't looked on as another nail in the coffin of small dairy producers. We just don't talk about it.
As for BST, if we go on a tour of a farm, we might discuss the issue, as to the merits of using it, but otherwise, we just want to know how each other is doing.
Getting us all together is the hard part as when isn't it busy for one or the other.
I heard that Montana has a quota system for milk. they have had good prices all along. sell most of it to a North Dakota creamery. hmmmm.... cowgirl, MN
--I am not a dairy farm woman, but you might want to ask yourself: Is the adversary one?
If not, how would he know?
This reminds me of the endless debates I used to have with some males from the Midwest via the Internet, over whether or not my farm is a farm, just because the pigs we handle on it are raised on contract, instead of belonging to me. It all seems so "nineties" now.
Not very many of them left anymore, I think. One of them claimed to be a farm speaker, too. Wonder if it's the same one. --Kay/NC
--I say it would depend on the context of the meeting. If business is the subject I would imagine the discussion could get lively. The industry is supposedly quite divided on the subject. If business is over and socializing has started I doubt anything that controversial would ever come up in conversation between women.
Although in our area everyone is very private almost to the point of secretive about their practices on their farms. Years ago the extension office used to put out a monthly report on DHIA test. Included really pretty innocuous information. Rolling herd average, number of cows milking and such. They had to quit putting out the report because at least one if not more farms were complaining that with the information given if someone wanted to waste their time and effort they could figure out what the milk checks might be for any given farm.
It does seem to be changing around here now that there our fewer of us dairy people. People seem to be more willing to say I tried this or that and it worked or didn't work. Or to say I'm having a problem with this or that what would you do? --Dairy Mom, MI
--We see very little bickering if any between farm woman but rather a strong solidarity because they face the same or very similar challenges. Now, across commodity groups there may be differences but I think you are right. They talk about topics that are of direct, day to day importance to them!

Of course, BST is not (legally) used here so it is a small issue. Our farm women would be much more concerned about the environment, staying alive farming, juggling on-farm and off-farm work and family to make a living and dealing with mountains of paperwork and those topics unify rather than separate.
That’s my take! I see very little if any “farm women bickering”! --Russell Gammon, Exec Sec. Jersey Canada

2 comments:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

You have a nice blog. Incidentally, I am opposed to the use of BST on dairy cows. It wears them out too quickly. I've started a new blog called Common Sense Agriculture, Conservation and Energy that might interest you. Come on over sometime for a visit.

Melissa Hart said...

Hey Panhandle Poet...ditto on the blog..very interesting reading and worthwhile. Glad to hear your perspective on the rBST..we don't use it either because my husband feels the same way you do. Plus we just haven't found it economically advantageous on our farm.