Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sweetcorn days

It's been sweetcorn days here on the Knolltop. On Sunday, Mr. K. called and said he had more sweetcorn than he needed and generously offered some to us. Jake and I were in the patch by 8:15 the next morning picking and picking. We ended up with four feedbags full of corn.

We brought them home and headed to a funeral. Then when we got home, Sarah, Jake and I started shucking and shucking and shucking. Until the last ear was exposed!


Hauling them all in, we started blanching and cutting and bagging and freezing.

While we shucked, the kittys and the chicken enjoyed a little snack...compliments of Jake.

We had to take a break to eat dinner and milk cows, but got back at it after chores. By 9 pm last night I was done with corn for the summer. Sarah recorded our inventory and we ended up with 30 quarts of corn. That's about all I'll get done this summer..unless some else calls and has more than they need! On to peaches...

No comments: