Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Friday, August 3, 2007

Girl Power realized on the farm


As I said in the post below we had a chaotic day baling. But I have to make an announcement....The only granddaughter in the whole family, my side and Big Daddy's side has now mastered driving the tractor and baler! I know my father will be proud to think his only granddaughter has stepped up to the plate and like the farm girl he raised, Sarah has taken on a responsibility and did it with ease.


You see, growing up as the youngest of four with two boys ahead of me, tractor driving for me wasn't realized as quickly as the boys. I had to basically wait my turn and my teacher...my brother...was meticules on how I did it. For instance, I couldn't listen to the radio, it would disturb my concentration. At the time I thought he was a little controlling, but now I realize he was totally right. As I got older and the oldest boy got an off the farm job or the boys had to mow the hay away...most of the tractor driving for hay baling landed on me. Which was fine...you know the tanning potential on a open top tractor is stupendous!


Anyway...anyone who has driven a tractor and baler knows the inner turmoil it induces. Which row should I go down...am I going to fast....am I going to slow....if I stop now, they'll fall off the wagon....I can't do that hill the whole load will fall down....what is he saying.....oh he's really mad now.....oh no, I missed that little bit of hay....which row did he say....this row or that one...I sure wish he wasn't so picky about what row to go down....we'll get them all for heavens sake!....I'm so hot and thirsty!


You can see the pressure is immense! So yesterday while I was driving the baler Luke was loading and Sarah was supposed to be helping but he clearly didn't need it. So she came up on the tractor with me. I looked at her and said, "You want to drive the tractor?" She said an absolute "NO!" We went back and forth, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...and finally she said, "You're going to make me cry mom!" And that was all it took, I put her on the seat and told her what to do and said I wouldn't leave her, I'd be right here for her.


She let the clutch out slow and easy...first gear, how bad can she pop the clutch? And we were off. She didn't cry, she didn't panic, she didn't swerve, she just took over... looking back and forth from the baler to the front tire and before long she was smiling with confidence.


We loaded up the wagons, and brought them back to unload and while I milked the cows, she continued to drive the baler. I was so impressed! When we sat down to eat dinner last night at 9 pm...which is way late for us....she chirped, "You know, I never thought I say this, but I really like driving that tractor."


Any farmer who has raised a farmgirl knows, there is nothing like a girl's help. They don't but heads with you, they just do as they are told. They don't come up with different ideas, they just do as they are told. They don't quit on you, they just keep going. You gotta admit...farmgirls are special!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

when hay is put up....cut, tedded, raked, baled, and put away in the barn, without raindrops, you have harvested what nature has given you. Good hay is a perishable crop. Left too long in the field, cut at the wrong time, rained on... are all things you must pay close attention. If the hay is in the field and the the baler and crew is in place, then drive the baler so there are no "tags" left on the ground. Why not? Everything is in place to harvest the hay...don't leave any in the field.
Now these words are from the guy who insists on getting all the hay. I'm also the father of the column writer
I don't think I was hard on my crew, but maybe I was. I didn't mean to be tough, but when nature provides you with something you need, get it and get it all. When times are good, "put hay in the barn", and I'm talking about all things, hay, money, good times, appreciate your loved ones... all of it. Don't let any good things go by without stopping to appreciate it and give thanks for it. Mom and I love you all. RP

Melissa Hart said...

Oh no, I didn't mean for anyone to think my father was hard on us...no, no, no...all that baling pressure is there by position alone...with Luke on the wagon yesterday, I felt the same pressure and the funny thing was....he was just as picky about what row I went down. The only difference was...I was the parent so I could go down any row I wanted! That was so much fun!

Anonymous said...

P.S. From RP... Farm Girls are great helpers, mostly because they don't question, they just do... Altho, later on you may be asked a quetion or two... but their motives for questioning are straight and true.
When one has girl helpers, one must also be ready to give a hug or two, and a peck on the cheek helps keep the tears away. RP

Anonymous said...

From one "farmgirl" to another-- if you've heard the words "Let that clutch out easy" once you've heard it a thousand times!! The beauty of being the mom is that every so often you and can cop an attitude and stomp off the field--just to keepeveryone on their toes!! mom

Melissa Hart said...

AMEN! AMEN! and AMEN!