Knolltop Farm Wife (Melissa Hart)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a wife, mother of four and a self-employed freelance writer. In addition to writing, I am involved in producing several dairy magazines and am the editor of Dairy Agenda Today where I have a blog there as well! This is a place where I can get what's in my head, down on paper (the internet). I hope you find encouragement and maybe a giggle or two!
Follow me on instagram @farmwriter

Friday, August 31, 2007

Sure is quiet

It's kind of quiet this morning. There are no kids around here...just us two big kids. Jake and Luke spent the night with their buddy and Sarah and JW are still at grandmas running around on the golf cart in the hay field that gramps just baled up. The cousins came over too so grandma could enjoy her grandchildren playing together.

When I was a kid going to grandmas house always included a stop at Food Town supermarket to pick up fresh food. She was a horrible housekeeper and a good cook, when she cooked. So we always had to stop and I could get any kind of sugary cereal I wanted. I've mentioned before that Grandma had a terrible sweet tooth! I also used to get pop tarts, juice and chocolate milk. It was all breakfast food because we always seemed to find another place to eat dinner. Either at the diner or at someone's house....or sometimes we didn't eat dinner, we just ate cereal!

Now my children's grandma is different...kind of. She is a wonderful cook and loves to cook and bake for company. At her house, my children will have good meals, but they also get their share of sugar...as it should be! The cookie jar is always full, the freezer has plenty of ice cream and the snack cupboard is stocked.

So, tell me...what was your grandma's house like? What did you eat? What was fun to do at grandma's? I'd love to hear those wonderful memories!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Hunt was a quarter mile across the fields. Early in the morning you could hear her call the dozen cows she milked with her son (the favorite bachelor uncle until he got married at age 36) Even then she stayed on the "home place" until she fell feeding chickens and lived with my mom for a few more years. Grandma's was my refuge, when things got tough at home a quick run to Grandmas and you were fed homemade cookies, real Ritz crackers and Cheese Whiz and coffee (with lots of cream) and talked to like an adult and you went home feeling a whole lot better about yourself and life in general. Spending the night meant snuggling into a feather tick in a bedroom that smelled faintly of liniment and lavender and watching grandma take down her hair and unbraid and brush it and me talking her to sleep. Then I would lay there and listen to her breathe and finally drift off to be woken by the 5 a.m. alarm and her telling me to stay in bed until she got the wood stove going and the coffee on. When my uncle was still single she'd call him down and we'd all eat breakfast together before chores...Such simple things...such ordinary things..yet as I grow older I find myself reminiscing and taking comfort in those wonderful memories